NIKMAT ALLAH

NIKMAT ALLAH
NIKMAT PENCIPTAAN

Monday, January 18, 2010

SRI LANKA A COUNTRY WITH NO FRILLS









Bicycle popular means of transport
Al Abrar mosque in Beruwala -the oldest mosque in Sri Lanka built n 1888
Dr Mareena
Auto taxi or three-wheeler
Muslim kids in AlAbrar mosque

Salam

I am now at the lounge Bandaranaike airport Sri lanka waiting for MAS flight to KLIA at 1.45am. Odd flight hour but that was the return flight which brought me and my husband to Sri Lanka 4 days ago. It is a coach share flight between MAS and Sri Lanka Air.

The simplicity of Sri Lanka and its people captivates me. The food, the people, the houses and places we visited were simple yet it satifies us to the full. l had not been travelling for hours without air-condition car in Malaysia, yet in Sri Lanka with the same temperature as in Malaysia l survived the ordeal and achieved my mission. Alhamdulillah.

My heartiest thanks to Bro Anwarullah cousin of Bro Ibrahim Raheem who played host in Negambo, Colombo and Beruwella. I must admit my geography of Ceylon or Sri Lanka had gone to rust that l knew little of the country and its people. lt never occurs to me that the Muslims here speaks tamil although the national language is Singhalese. When l asked some of our many hosts what is their race they mentioned Muslims...at last they admit sri lankan muslims.

Barely 5 months Sri lanka was freed from LTT (Liberation Tamil elam Tiger) threat and people are breathing their first breath of safety as most road blocks are done away with. l was told had l arrived 5 months ago my trip from Negombo to Colombo might take many more hours than the current 3-4 hours (now due to traffic jam). Jokingly l asked our driver bro Niris why he must use so much honning while driving because in Jakarta the road were busier yet they abstain from honning. The simple answer was the people or other drivers here would not listen!

We stayed in the town of Negombo, l cannot remember the district. Singhalese and tamil language are so difficult to stick to my memory l don't understand why. Age is one factor perhaps. Nigombo is more than 30 km from Colombo the capital city but a destination of most tourists. My host prefer we stayed in Colombe since our visits are all nearby Colombo, pity them to have spent long hours on the road.

For me it is a good submission how a country with no frills can be so fascinating, full of potentials...and as Muslims l have a lot of hopes for lslam to grow and expand. My prayer goes to my new friend Dr Mareena from the Muslimath NGO. She is one of a committed Muslimah that l have ever met, full of vigour and she paled me into admitting that l have not done much for dakwah work. l am writing in english for her to share my views. Thanks and wassalam.

No comments:

Post a Comment